It is one of the most common surgeries done to rejuvenate and revitalize the face. Blepharoplasty or the surgery of the eye-lids is an operation which is performed to rejuvenate, reduce the signs of aging and improve the function of eye-lids. In this operation the excess skin and fat is removed from the region around the eye-lids. Having the perception that this is an operation solely for ladies is wrong and it should be mentioned that this operation is performed on men too. Having a nice and young looks is equally important for ladies and gentlemen.
Most people pay a lesser attention to the looks as a whole and mainly focus on only one of the features in the face. As the age increases, the face may look exhausted and in frown/dull. It has to be mentioned that Blepharoplasty not only repairs the skin around the eyes but it is done with simultaneous pulling of the eyebrows. Performing this operation may reduce the wrinkles around the eyes to some extent but it cannot eliminate all of them. The excess fat and skin can be removed by blepharoplasty but to treat the tissue folds and wrinkles, chemical peelings and laser surgeries are suitable methods. Having necessary information would help in deciding the best time for this operation. Those who are not adequately prepared for plastic surgeries, use Botox injection or other conservative methods to treat such wrinkles and folds.
The operation will be discussed after comparing the before and after photos. Blepharoplasty can be simultaneously carried out with operations like Rhinoplasty, operation of ears cheeks and chin or other operations. In the traditional method of blepharoplasty, an incision is made on the lower eyelid to remove the excess skin and fat but in the last decade, the trans-conjuctival blepharoplasty technic is used to make an incision in the internal parts of the eyelid so there is no need for incisions on the external parts or the eyelids.
Improving the appearance of the eye and reducing the cause for puffiness ender the eyes are among the main benefits of the eyelid surgery. Naturally, there are some wrinkles in the upper eyelid and in some people this wrinkle is covered by excess skin whereas for others, the puffiness of the eye may make the eye look tired which could all be corrected with eyelid surgery. The surgeon can also remove excess skin from the lower eyelids and treat the wrinkles of this region. In some people the dropping of the eyelid is so much that the whiteness under the iris is quite visible/noticeable. This issue could also be rectified with Blepharoplasty. Usually the main goal of blepharoplasty surgery is to correct the apparent flaws which bother the patient. It is also done to regain the eye sight and that is why insurance companies have decided to cover its costs.
Having a Blepharoplasty operation is suitable for the following people:
- Those who have puffiness of the upper eyelid Blepharoplasty can treat that puffiness, loosening or dropping of the eyelids and under eye pockets.
- For those who have exhausted looking eyes this operation would help in reducing features that make eyes look tired and exhausted.
- This operation removes the excess skin and hardens the eyelid skin in those who have excess skin in their upper eyelid.
- Patients above the age of 18. This operation is mainly seen in people above 35 but for those that loosening of the eyelids and puffiness of the eyes is a common problem in the family, this operation can be done in lower ages.
- Those who benefit from a good physical and mental health. Even though Blepharoplasty is a simple and minor operation but it could have some slight side/adverse effects like any other operation so patients should apply with sufficient knowledge.
- Patients should not have irrational or unreal expectations from this surgery.